Belize - I sure did catch the adventure :)

After a long dry spell of not travelling, I was desperate to get out and put my feet into a beach. My good friend  (after hearing my Philippines stories - bragging rights I say) had just planned a volunteering trip to Belize but it was during the first week of my new job and I did what was expected out of me :P Off I went to Belize the second day of my new job.


Fast forward, The journey started in Belize city, roamed around aimlessly receiving weird looks from fake branded shop owners (Samsonic, Sub-Away, 4ever 21) whiling away our time to catch our ferry from Belize city to first stop of the trip - Caye Caulker.

We were welcomed by a beautiful sunset, crystal clear water, a cheap backpacker's hostel (Yuma's hostel) and beer. For a minute I was wondering if I had taken a wrong flight to South East Asia.

                 
Oh yeah we had swing seat on dining tables :) - Yuma's Hostel


Further exploring the island in the evening we found lots of places where backpackers hang out, it was quite interesting to meet travelers from across the globe, knowing their background (Entrepreneurs, Teachers , Engineers and much more) - Simple pleasures of travelling and meeting people is always a delight. Five beers later we ended up sitting by the pier with few more drinks, discussing religions and cosmos with twin Australian blokes late into the night (Ladies for your info - Girl talks always stop at 2nd beer, it's world politics,religion,unknown universe and science that keeps the beers and conversation flowing )  I finished the night with my usual ritual of sitting by the pier alone listening to "Sea dreamer by Anoushka Shankar/Sting/Karsh Kale" staring into the sea and stars. Some songs are just take you away from all the chaos into a whole new parallel universe with the right atmosphere and my go to song for such experience has always been sea dreamer since my days in Chennai's isolated beaches.

Day Two - We had booked a trip with a local tour company for a trip to Hol chan marine reserve on a sailboat. What better way to visit a beautiful marine reserve, with lunch and drinks onboard. The words Hol chan mean ‘little channel’ in Mayan language and as such it has always been a natural hangout spot for marine life. It took us an hour and half to reach the reserve. I have to mention one inspiring story  from a Californian girl whom i met onboard- her aim was to do 30 before 30 (30 countries before she turns 30)  , she was at 26 countries at 25. It was so inspiring to listen to her experiences in Europe I decided I must complete at-least 15 before 30 and i think i am on track for that.
The Epic fail - After bragging about all my dives and snorkeling experience in SE Asia, I took a jump inside the water to snorkel after ages. I panicked, lost breath and ended up hitting other people on the face with my flaps trying to go underwater, irritating the guide and most people around.
But after all the commotion enter inside the alternate world underwater, swimming with manta-rays and sharks (Not the whites, I might have peed a lil bit  if it was great whites but thinking of it I would have been happy to die in there - Just that my family might be wondering how I ended up in Belize from Nashville, That's a whole other blog to write). Oh wait i missed out the turtles. The only matter of concern was that these tour groups were feeding these animals every time they bring in visitors messing up the ecosystem but then i thought at least they aren't killing them and trying their best to conserve.

                                             
Sharks ray alley & Manta rays


The next couple of dives was much more awesome (Personally was more calm and relaxing minus the all the drama I did before) diving into the deep sea on the other side of the reefs. The ecosystem changed drastically to warm waters on the reefs just a few feet away and cold water on the other side.  Different species of coloured fishes and corals on either side coexisted but at the same time had clear separation among themselves. The tour operator "Ragamuffin" was extremely good, taking time and explaining each and every species of fish and corals. After all the exhilarating  experience we were offered "Belizian Rum punch " on the house. What better way than to enjoy the sunset from a sailboat with drinks and beautiful inspiring girls for company ;) We caught up again for some dinner at a restaurant with swings for tables and some shots in a nearby bar and parted ways.
Inspiring women

The next couple of days took us back thousands of years to Mayan ruins and a roller coaster flight, will be continued on the next blog..

                                           

                                                   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hong Kong - Part 2

Hola! Tu eres hermosa - Latin America -Part 1

Unexpected bike trail - Bali Part 1